Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
145 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for vomiting and stomach upset

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

General & Family Physician
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 14848 Questions
My wife is 52 and healthy. She came home from the office today after vomiting and has a upset stomach, she does not have a fever. I have given her flat 7-up and crackers, she kept those down. is there something over the counter I can get for her? XXXX
Posted Wed, 5 Feb 2014 in General Health
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 43 minutes later
Brief Answer: likely due to viral gastritis or food intolerance Detailed Answer: HI, thanks for using healthcare magic An anti emetic (medication to stop vomiting) would be helpful. Examples of anti emetics that may be available over the counter are: pepto bismol, emetrol. There are others but they are normally used for vomiting associated with motion sickness eg dramamine and meclizine In addition to the anti emetic, the use of probiotics would help to repair the stomach and intestinal lining. There are different types that may be available at your local pharmacy or she can use yogurt that contains probiotics. She should avoid aggravating foods such as milk, spicy foods. She also needs to keep up her fluid intake by consuming small amounts of fluid at a time. If she drinks a lot she may vomit , so she should use small amounts every few minutes. If she tolerates using small amounts then she can increase what she takes. I hope this helps, feel free to ask any additional questions
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for vomiting and stomach upset 10 minutes later
Thanks Doc, Pepto why did'nt I think of that! I recon that's why you get the big bucks. JK. Happy New Year.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 9 hours later
Brief Answer: no problem Detailed Answer: You're welcome You can feel free to contact with any other queries
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Topics

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask a Doctor Now

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor