• question-icon

Suggest treatment for varicose vein

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I am a 43 year old woman, and am very overweight. I have had problems with varicose vein in my right leg. It usually only acts up once every couple of years. It got swollen and tender a few weeks ago, so I wore my compression socks, and took advil. It got a bit better, but also seemed to start getting sore and the soreness moved up my leg. The part below my knee is now better, but the tenderness has gradually traveled all the way up to where my leg joins my hip. Now I can feel a tender spot in my leg joing going up to my pelvis. It is not severe, but just tender. Should I be worried that it is a blood clot? It first started about a month ago.
Answered by Dr. Anshul Varshney 37 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes you should be worried.

Detailed Answer:
Hi. Welcome to Healthcare Magic. I am Dr Anshul Varshney for your help.
See varicose veins are not as such troublesome and apart from surgery the treatment you are doing is kind enough. But the symptoms you are experiencing are probably a result of either acute inflammation in the veins or could be life threatening deep vein thrombosis (DVT).
So, i would highly recommend you to get a venous Doppler of your whole leg done to rule out DVT.
I hope it helps you.
If you have any further query please ask me.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Anshul Varshney