Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties

157 Doctors Online
Doctor Image
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

I will be looking into your question and guiding you through the process. Please write your question below.

Suggest treatment for vaginal infection

Answered by
Dr. Rakhi Tayal


Practicing since :2001

Answered : 13230 Questions

Posted on Mon, 25 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Question: i have got a yeast infection taken fluconozole ..greenish discharge can b seen ..its painful and have swollen vagina..had gotten yeast infection in april
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 9 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial infection.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Greenish discharge is MOSTLY suggestive of Bacterial Vaginosis. One swab test or wet mount preparation is helpful to confirm the diagnosis. You should maintain genital hygiene properly and avoid sexual contact until problem is completely resolved.
Treatment: a) Metronidazole or Clindamycin either orally or vaginally are highly effective to treat this type condition. If you are sexually active, then your partner also needs one course of antibiotic. Kindly, consult with your gynecologist or healthcare provider for complete prescription.

Use VAGISIL or pH Balance wash - twice daily. Drink more water with added salt- sugar to stay hydrated. Bathing at least twice daily and maintenance of genital hygiene are mandatory. Avoid sugary products and take vitamin & anti-oxidant supplement.

Prebiotics and probiotics (containing Lactobacillus) are also effective to maintain NORMAL vaginal flora and prevent recurrent infection.

Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar
Follow up: Dr. Rakhi Tayal 7 minutes later
how many tablets should i take for the cousre
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 1 minute later
Brief Answer:

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
You need to see a doctor to get proper antibiotics. Taking Fluconazole is not sufficient.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Chakravarthy Mazumdar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Drug/Medication ,   ,  
Medical Topics ,  

Recent questions on  Bacterial vaginosis

doctor1 MD

I missed the first 4 pills of my new pack waiting for them in the mail. Finally starting the pack on thursday.i have now been on the BC for 2 weeks. Since then I have had tender nipples and breast, little twinges and crampy feelings in lower abdomin. I have egg white film like discharge that has no odor. Other than early pregnancy, could I have a hormonal imbalance from missing those 4 pills or could it be bacterial vaginosis or what do u think most likely. I have taken several pregnancy tests but all have been negative I think it is too early. Help!!!

doctor1 MD

I m 15 and I have been having a weird odour coming from my vagina and some discharge, it is not painful and it does not burn when I urinate. It is not a yeast infection nor is it a water infection so I have come to the conclusion that it must be Bacterial Vaginosis. I am also not sexually active. I have taken medication that was prescribed by my doctor but it never worked so I decided to do some research. I found that inserting plain yogurt into your vagina and eating yogurt regularly helped cure it. Is this true?

doctor1 MD

Hi, I am suffering from vaginal infection itching since last two years. i consulted two to three doctors in last two years. they all prescribed FAS-3 kit and Candid B ointment. when i took FAS-3 kit. i get cured immediately with a days of time....

doctor1 MD

HI, I'm a 40 yr old who underwent an embolization for fibroids 2 years ago. Since then I've experienced cases of bacterial vaginosis and now breakthrough bleeding before my period. I've been on birth control to help regulate my period. My partner...

doctor1 MD

i am an 18 yr old female that is type 1 diabetic. I have had symptoms that mimic a bladder infection but have been told that I do not have one. However, it feels like I have to go the bathroom and it hurts sometimes after Im done peeing. Also, have discharge and a fishy odor and I had bacterial vaginosis and treated it twice now everytime I get my period my syptoms come back also. What could this be? I am very worried and need to know what your advice is. I also am not at home near a doctor...I am at my mom's on vacation out of Canada where Im from. I have travel insurance if you think I should go to emergency to find out what this is. Thanks

doctor1 MD

What at are the symptoms of vaginitis . I have lower abdominal pain and itching in vaginal area with no discharge. I am having low back pain . This is week two.

doctor1 MD

I've never written on a site like this before, but I have been dealing with abdominal pain and nausea for almost 2 years. Still undiagnosed, my new physical therapist has been able to decrease the amount of abdominal pain I get, but I have had pain in my lower right rib for a long time. To the touch. I haven't thought anything of it since I have been attempting to find relief from the other pain. Oh and I've had candida & Bacterial vaginosis (one or the other) for the solid 2 years (meds I've been giving me only seem to work for one making the other worse). I'm wondering if they are all somehow connected.