Suggest treatment for unexplained rhinitis and tinnitus

Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal

ENT Specialist

Posted on Tue, 7 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: After a severe bout of unexplained rhinitis, I developed tinnitus. Is there linkage between the two and could the tinnitus be caused by inflammation from the rhinitis, and if so, could the tinnitus be a temporary condition?
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 50 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus with nasal congestion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for putting up the query
Tinnitus after a nasal congestion is a very often complaint. This happens due to eustachian tube blockage. Don't worry, it will be cured in few days.
Take a proper antibiotic and a anticold tablet. also use decongestant nasal drops like otrivin 3 times everyday. take tablet vitamin b12 1500 micrograms once daily.
take steam inhalation everyday. This will help you the most.
Avoid any ear phones usage and excessive XXXXXXX phone. Avoid any loud noise exposure.

Do all this for at least a week and follow up.
If tinnitus will persist, audiometry will be required otherwise no need.

Wishing you a speedy recovery.
Thanks and regards
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 1 hour later
I don't know if my followup question went out, so, I'll repeat. I had Eustachian Tube tested by audiologist who said ET was functioning properly. A hearing aid and sound therapy was suggested. I also suspected ET. Could there be inflammation rather than blockage, which may resolve in time? Tennitis has been with me about 10 days. Could teher be trapped fluid in middle or inner ear. Or should I be patient for another week and report back. Thank you, Dr. Aggrawal
Answered by Dr. Priyanka Aggarwal 7 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Tinnitus with nasal congestion

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for the follow up query
This is eustachian tube functional blockage due to inflammation that is causing middle ear effusion and hence tinnitus because the aeration of middle ear is hampered. Follow the prescription i advised. As the nasal mucosa will decongest the eustachian pathway will be restored and tinnitus will subside.
It can take sometime. So be patient and comply with treatment.
There is no permanent blockage so all tests are normal. If you want you can get a pure tone aud impedance audiometry done. This will make the doubts more clear.

Any further questions are always welcome
Thanksand regards