• question-icon

Suggest treatment for ulcerative colitis

Posted on Thu, 27 Jul 2017 in Medicines and Side Effects
Question: I hope you can help me. My friend is 81 years old and has ulcerated colitius. He has an infusion every 16 weeks. I am hoping this problem has no connection to this. He spent a weekend in the hospital about 2 months ago and they did extensive tests on his lungs (was diagnosed with cronic broncitius) also many tests on his heart and was told everything was fine. Now he cannot stand for very long nor walk very much. He is very weak and when he looks up he gets very dizzy. We are getting quite worried about this. What could be the reason? We don't even know what kind of dr. to go to!
Answered by Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Rule out anemia or hypotension as the cause of symptoms

Detailed Answer:
Thank you for trusting HealthcareMagic

The symptoms your friend is experiencing is likely due to anemia or low blood pressure, especially since extensive investigations have ruled out pulmonary/cardiac problems.

Anemia has a strong association with ulcerative colitis. Complete blood count, hemoglobin level, peripheral smear can identify anemia.

Another possibility is a sudden drop in blood pressure (hypotension). He is on multiple medications that lower blood pressure including blood pressure pills and Flomax. These combinations of medications can lower blood pressure significantly. Measuring blood pressure in the lying down and standing up position to rule out orthostatic hypotension is required. If hypotension is confirmed, dose adjustment of medications is recommended.

Please be advised to follow up with his primary care provider for these further evaluation and management.

Hope this answers your question
Please feel free to address further questions here.

Dr.Lekshmi

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Dr. Lekshmi Rita Venugopal