What causes fainting when diagnosed with low blood sugar levels?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Fri, 27 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: 3rd time this week that this has happened. Comes on fast. I’m fine and then I’m white as a ghost,shaky, nauseous,and feel faint

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

I passed carefully through your question and would explain that your symptoms could be related to low glucose levels (hypoglycemia), considering the fact that a value of 40 resulted by your tests.

Coming to this point, I would recommend performing further tests to investigate for the possible underlying causes:

- insulin levels
- a glucose tolerance test
- thyroid hormone levels for possible thyroid gland dysfunction
- cortisol plasma levels for possible adrenal gland dysfunction.

An ambulatory 24-48 hours ECG monitoring is necessary to investigate for possible cardiac arrhythmia.

I would also recommend performing a Head Up Tilt test to investigate for possible orthostatic hypotension, which could trigger such clinical scenario.

You should discuss with your doctor on the above tests.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Wishing good health,

Dr. Iliri