Suggest treatment for throat pain

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 1 Sep 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Suffering from sever throat pain and not able to take food .Gets sever pain while taking any liquid or water . Pls suggest reason and best medicine and how much time it will required to cure
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
upper respiratory tract infection

Detailed Answer:
Hello and welcome to healthcaremagic,

From your symptoms it looks like you have upper respiratory tract infection.

Do not worry, upper respiratory tract infections are frequently viral in nature. Hence only symptomatic treatment will suffice.

I would not recommend antibiotics so early. I generally wait for 5 days before starting antibitoics. If you have already started clavam then please continue it and do not stop in between.

For the pain you can take pain killers like paracetamol or ibuprofen after checking the dose appropriate for you.

For the sore throat you can also try tantum oral gargles. You have to gargle 15ml for 30 seconds and spit it out. For half an hour you should not eat or drink anything after gargling. You can do the gargling 3-4 times daily half hour before food. It reduces the pain so that you can eat food. Cannot use it for more than 4 days. Read the instructions on the bottle carefully before using.

You should start feeling better in a couple of days. Please follow some general measures like-
1) Warm salt water gargling 4 times daily.
2) Steam inhalation 4 times daily.
3) Avoid Air conditioning and cold foods.
5) Drink plenty of warm fluids.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 20 hours later
.. How much time required to recover throat in normal state as 6days past taking the medicine..feeling little better but getting svere pain while taking water or any liqued inside throat.. Any other suggestion for better cure and fast relief..
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
get a review done

Detailed Answer:
If the pain has persisted for 6 days then I would suggest you to see your ENT specialist to rule out complications like a peritonsillar abscess.
The antibiotic given to you is very good one, do not stop it. Take a course for 7 or 9 days.
Take pain killers after consulting your doctor.
There is no other treatment for sore throat.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj