Suggest treatment for throat pain and stretched nerves in throat

Dr. Olsi Taka

Neurologist

Posted on Fri, 17 Jul 2015 in Brain and Spine
Question: I am having a weired problem going on in my mouth:

1. I feel pain in my throat and feeling streched nerves in my throat.
2. Something is happening in my throat which is making me swallow like reflex for no reason even though i have nothing in my mouth. My mouth gets dry because of this.
3. While this swallow reflex i am having pressure on my hard and soft palates like soft palate do not want this swallow reflex to happen and soft and hard palate feel preasure and feels like it blocks airflow and troat get tighten on that moment then i have to open my mouth and suck on saliva ir drink some sips of water to breathe normally or else if feel like i am getting choked.
4. When i suck on candy like halls and strepsils i kinda feel bit of relief not completely but candy helps me lower down this uncontrollable reflex of swallow.
5. I am gwtting some sour fluid reflex as well from my stomach into my mouth sometime like once or twice a day.

I am totally restless in this condition. I cannot lay down to sleep. If i do all the rhings that i told above gets on extreme level and then i have to jump out of bed or sit down to breathe as palates do not let me breathe when that reflex keeps on happening then i feel soft palate and throat getting pressure and get blocked then i cannot breathe then i have to ait straight and open mouth and suck on saliva or drink some water to remove that choking feeling.

Please help.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Read below.

Detailed Answer:
I read your question carefully and I understand your concern.

So you seem to have involuntary movements of throat and palate muscles. There may be several causes for your symptoms.

Like a colleague of mine has said one explanation might be discharge, often in the setting of an infection like sinusitis, which may irritate your throat and incite those contractions.
Another explanation might be reflux disease, the sour fluid you feel coming from your stomach, which can irritate as well your upper airways.
Regarding neurological causes, it could be a manifestation of distonia, a sort of uncontrolled sustained contraction of a group of muscles, but it is a rare disorder in general and for it to manifest in that area is eve more exceptional, usually involves the limbs, so would consider it very unlikely.

Last explanation would be anxiety. Actually in terms of probability I would say that is the most likely explanation, it is very common. I'm mentioning it last though as it should be left as a diagnosis when the rest is excluded.

So for the moment, as physical examinination is necessary for your type of problem, I suggest you see a ENT (ear-nose-throat) specialist to examine your throat and palate mobility as well as to evaluate for the discharge issues I mentioned.

I remain at your disposal for further questions.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 10 minutes later
I will tell my family doctor to recommend to ENT that is what i was thinking to do so. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 1 minute later
Brief Answer:
You're welcome.

Detailed Answer:
I hope nothing worrisome will come out of it.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 2 minutes later
So i need to take it serious like anything deadly or like any thing surgery might be needed..
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 6 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Unlikely

Detailed Answer:
None of the diagnosis I suggested are life threatening or need surgery, so unless some other element is found by the doctor the answer is no. They can be treated with medication (say if sinusitis antibiotics and decongestants, if reflux anti acid drugs, if anxiety relaxation exercises, yoga, anti anxiety medication and so on).
So while I understand it bothers you you do not have to think of it in such dramatic fashion, no worry.
Follow up: Dr. Olsi Taka 1 minute later
Okay. Thanks for your help. Thats a relief actually after listening to all your advice.
Answered by Dr. Olsi Taka 10 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Best of luck.

Detailed Answer:
Wishing you good health!