Suggest treatment for thick saliva and mucus stuck in the tongue

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Fri, 11 Nov 2016 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: For the last two years, Thick white saliva/mucus gets stuck on my tongue I have to spit out. It's excessive! It is every day and worse at night that I go through this without fail.The saliva or mucus is white, foamy and sticky, bubbles. I thought I have thrush but doc said no ,after looked in my mouth - he does not know what was it?I am deaf its hard to explain
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 56 minutes later
Brief Answer:
you may want to consider post nasal drip

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

Thrush would normally cause a white discharge which would be stuck the tongue. There may also be white discharge on the cheeks and other areas of the mouth.

There are different possible causes for the presence of mucus in the mouth but the most common cause would be post nasal drip of mucus for the sinuses which are present in the face.

Mucus in the mouth would come from upper respiratory tract and cause the drip.

There are some persons who may not feel the drip in the back of the throat. This can occur in 1 out of 5 of persons with post nasal drip.
This tends to be worse at night as you stated.

You can consider trying an oral antihistamine/decongestant combination, this would need to used for at least 2 to 4 weeks eg zyrtec d, allegra d, claritine d.

This should be combined with a topical nasal spray such as nasonex, nasocort, flonase, rhinocort.

I realize that this is a common condition and may not be considered as the cause but as mentioned, mucus at this level is likely coming from the upper respiratory tract.

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions