Suggest treatment for tenderness in the abdominal area

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Wed, 8 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am recovering from having the flu several weeks ago; however, my abdomen is still tender, not painful, tender. What would cause that??
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Gastric mucosa inflammation!

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for choosing HealthcareMagic,

Toxins released by bacteria during the flu destroys the gastro intestinal flora. G.I flora is responsible for proper digestion of food. Once the flora is destroyed there are a number of digestive problems like bloating , belching, pain, constipation and tenderness.

Stomach flu is also called as gastroenteritis in which the inner mucosa of intestine is inflamed. Inflammation of the mucosa leads to tenderness.

You can take some anti inflammatory (Tylenol) with antispasmodic (Hyocyamine) combination for a few days along with a good probiotic (eg. VSL#3) for 1 weeks.
Do get one Ultra sound abdomen done.
A stool routine and microscopy should also be done to rule out any impending infection.

Thanks!

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee