• question-icon

Suggest treatment for symptoms of upper respiratory tract infection

Posted on Thu, 6 Jul 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Hey doctor,

I have had a cold since Wednesday last week so 5 days now and the cold is almost gone but my right is still completely blocked with this feeling of fullness and tinnitus and it hasn't gotten better at all. Its also a lot worse at nignt time with the tinnitus being very loud. Is there anything I can try to help reduce the symptons because it's really painful in terms of the tinnitus sounds at night being very loud, but I don't have an earache or any physical pain from it.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Upper respiratory tract infection - viral in origin

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for posting the query

The symptoms you are suffering from seems to be of acute upper respiratory tract infection, probably, viral in origin. You have recovered partially from this and few symptoms are still persisting.

Tinnitus is due to blockage of the Eustachian tube (the tube connecting nose and the ear)

Do not worry, with few home remedies and simple medicines you will definitely get better.

My advise to is:
1. Drink plenty of warm water
2. Do steam inhalation. Steam helps in relieving the nasal congestion and opening up of the blocked Eustachian tube.
3. Use OTC medicine such as xylometazoline nasal spray or drops and a oral decongestant such as pseudoephedrine for relieving the congestion.
4. Avoid chilled food and beverages, smoking and coffee.

Hope I have answered your query; I will be available for the follow-up queries.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar 2 hours later
Thanks for that doc in terms of decongestants would phenylephrine work as well or is that not strong enough to help my ea? How many days can you use decongestants for as well i've been having the cold and flu tablets the week that contains phenylephrine and paracemotal but i didnt have one today or yesterday.r
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Phenylephrine is also a decongestant...

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for writing back

Phenylepherine is also a decongestant, hence, you can continue using this medicine.

It may take 3-4 days for the viral infection to settle. Xylometazoline nasal spray followed by steam inhalation can help in reducing the nasal congestion as well as ear block.

You can use the cold and flu tablet for another 2-3 days and stop it. Remember! Steam inhalation is the best treatment for the nasal congestion.

Hope this clarifies your doubts. Wish you good health.

Dr. Naveen Kumar N.
ENT and Head & Neck Surgeon
Dr. Naveen Kumar

ENT Specialist