Suggest treatment for symptoms of hip osteoarthritis

Dr. Aashish Raghu

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 4 Apr 2017 in General Health
Question: Is it typical for arthritis in the hip to cause pain in the groin and back of the thigh - almost like sciatica? This pain started when I began playing frequent tennis. I considered discontinuing tennis, but I kept playing. The pain has not gotten worse as I might expect if it were muscular.
Answered by Dr. Aashish Raghu 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Yes, hip arthritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi there

Thanks for the query

Yes, hip arthritis can cause pain in the groin and buttock region because that is the site of the hip joint.

Hip joint Osteoarthritis is a chronic degenerative condition which is common in your age group. Do continue the exercises as told by your Doctor. Avoid squatting, cross leg sitting, climbing stairs and kneeling.

Do get an Xray of the hip joint to confirm arthritis.

I hope I have answered your query.

I will be available to answer your follow up queries.

Dr. Aashish Raghu
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T