Suggest treatment for symptoms of borderline personality disorder

Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist

Posted on Sat, 11 Mar 2017 in Mental Health
Question: Which diagnosis would you give to someone with the following behaviors? This person is my mother, so I am able to describe in good detail. Please read through:

- Speciousness - Example, neighbour brings bin around to help, she thinks it is being done on purpose for the neighbour to make a point. Another time, pet rabbit died at her mothers, she had a biopsy as she believed her mother purposely killed it somehow. Etc.

- Magical Thinking (think she can predict future events)

- Rages (manipulation anger, rare, but I've seen multiple times)

- Grudges (will not let things go, and cannot accept blame)

- No friends and no relation with family anymore.

- OCD - Obsessive with food and cleaning.

- Can't accept much criticism - can lead to rage and anger over little small things.

- Everyone else is to blame, not her.

- Controlling

- Crude - says things that most wouldn't (I wish she would die soon, then our plans will be better with the money she is leaving)

- Low empathy

EXAMPLES

I’ve witnessed rages growing up. She has smashed a gaming console up that my dad purchased because she hated the size of it. I’ve seen her attempt to grab the steering wheel when I was a passenger in the back – she was raging about something.

Raging has been something I’ve seen, but many others haven’t. My dad has a weak personality and was unable to control the behaviour. She was an alcoholic when younger, but quit after I was born. She has eventually fallen out with her family and blames them for her problems. She doesn’t have any friends. She finds it extremely hard to forgive people, expects them to apologise, but she never can – everyone else is at fault – never her.

When she rages, she turns into a monster who manipulates, is nasty, can name call, talks like a child, is aggressive, and totally nasty. The rage isn’t something I see often, but it is normally sparked by her family or a subtle insult (I told her not to butt in when I was talking to my dad, which she did rudely last year) – She then left the room, the next day I said that I thought she might apologise – and that was it – RAGE. “How dear you!”, “Why does everyone blame me” etc. Only me and my father have truly witnessed a rage, although her mother has partly once too. Eyes glaring, she will reflect her behaviour on to me claiming it is me raging and hard eyes, even though I am standing saying next to nothing. She will come up to you, slam doors, etc. – she has never physically harmed me, but wants to provoke emotionally. All in all, rages don’t happen often, but when they do, they are explosive.

Revengeful – she is very revengeful once a grudge is formed on her part. I’ve heard her say things like if I had cancer id get a gun and kill her family (not me).

Suspiciousness. Her mother looked at the pets for a while and they were around the age to pass, but my mother believed her mother purposely harmed them, she had an autopsy. The neighbour didn’t send a Christmas card one year, so she must have been doing it on purpose. She went on the bus, and the bus driver was sharp with her “sounded like sarcasm to me”.

She lacks empathy and lives horror movies, I guess the two go hand in hand? Ha! Anyway, she will say things that are somewhat crude and heartless. For example, apparently, once when I was younger she said in front of me and my uncle that she preferred the pet dog. My dad’s mother is 92 and leaving money, my mother says she wishes she’d hurry up and pass.

Magical thinking – last night she was claiming she has had dreams and they are coming true. She went on to say either her, my dad or I would die this year and she is sure of it according to her dreams and that it will probably be her. She kept on about this yesterday and said she doesn’t normally mention this since people think she is crazy.

OCD – obsessive and controlling with her food (finds it hard to eat most foods) and struggles with calorie counting. Likes to clean too much and can’t rest when leaving the home and going on holiday.

She does not boast about achievements (that is more my dad), and doesn’t brag about herself. She actually is the opposite and makes out she hasn’t achieved much.

If this isn’t enough, be sure to ask me more questions, I’m happy to answer. I just want to understand the condition she has. I’ve discussed with her at times when possible, and she claims she is unhappy.

I can jump into more details, but this should give you a good idea.
Thanks
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Consultation

Detailed Answer:
Hello, and thanks for your question.

While it is not possible for me to diagnose a person without talking to them and learning directly about how they actually feel, your mother exhibits symptoms concerning for traits of borderline personality disorder. This is a disorder in which people have low self-esteem, can go into rages, are often suspicious, haw low empathy, and few relationships. This comes from a place of deep emotional suffering. I recommend your mother seek therapy.

Please remember to rate and close this answer thread when you are finished and satisfied.

In the future, for continuity of care, I encourage you to contact me directly at my private web address below. After you ask a direct question, it would be my pleasure to be your dedicated personal physician on this website. My name is Dr. Sheppe, and I am an XXXXXXX doctor working in New York City at NewYork-Presbyterian Hospital, ranked #1 for Psychiatry in the United States (tinyurl.com/psyrank). For a personalized comprehensive evaluation, treatment recommendations, and individual therapy, ask me at HealthCareMagic at this private web address: tinyurl.com/DrSheppeAnswers
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 1 hour later
Thanks for your message. It isn't narcissism then? I wondered if it could be PPD, but borderline sounds right as you say.
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe 7 hours later
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
No, not narcissism, because as you say she doesn't brag about herself, but rather has a low self-esteem. Borderline traits are more accurate.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy