Suggest treatment for symptoms of GERD

Dr. Ramesh Kumar

Gastroenterologist

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: I am experiencing what I think is some sort of stomach problem. I have been having trouble eating spicy foods and today I threw up. Not sure, but may have seen bright red blood? Not much of it if that is what it was. I have a little pain in my right side.
Answered by Dr. Ramesh Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Gastritis

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for choosing HCM.

You are having a condition called GERD (Gastro esophalegeal reflux disorder) overlapped with Gastritis and reflux oesophagitis. In this, there is reversal of acid and gastric contents from stomach back into food pipe. It is usually associated with severe retrosternal chest burning sensation called heart burn and gastritis.As you suspect a bit red color in your vomiting,A sample of next vomit should be sent for routine and microscopy test to look for blood.A probiotic should be started for 1 week.
Please request your Gastroenterologist to prescribe you Levosulpiride or Domperidone 30 mg once daily in combination with proton pump inhibitor. This will help you symptomatically in long term.
Acotiamide can also be added to your regimen thrice daily . Please discuss these options with your Gastroenterologist.As per your question yes you can start till tomorow morning however start taking probiotics and Pantoprazole from today.

Though not asked by you yet some general instructions apart from medicines to help you in fast recovery are-

- Increase XXXXXXX warm water intake
- Try to eat vegetable,Take a lot of Yoghurt along with food.
- Don't eat spicy food.
No smoking and alcohol.
-Add lot of vegetables and fruits to your diet.
-Fruit juices should not be taken they increase acidity.
-Take small amount of food every 2 hours,Don't take large meals at one time.

Thanks!
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy