Suggest treatment for swollen and painful lymph nodes in armpit

Dr. Matt Wachsman

Addiction Medicine Specialist

Posted on Tue, 15 Dec 2015 in Drug Abuse
Question: I have been prescribed amphetamine salts for about 2 years and have taken them somewhat regularly (20mg/day) with a few breaks. I am 28 years old. Admittedly, I often do not have the most restful weekends with my friends, particularly with drinking. Lately I have been experiencing swollen armpit area nodes. I went to a doctor last month and had bloodwork, scans, and urine testing done because it had been a long time since my last check up. I told him about the glands, which was the motivation for my visit. I am writing now because after a long weekend I am experience pain that is lasting longer than usual in my armpit. 1. is the swelling related to my lively weekend drinking? 2. could the adderall be causing this? 3. if so, what is the recommended way to stop using it at home if it's causing this problem? 4. what does it mean that they are swelling?
Answered by Dr. Matt Wachsman 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not the adderall

Detailed Answer:
selling of the armpit glands is quit
e common.....it might not even mean anything

then there are two categories of reasons ...infection and inflammation

anytime there is fever the inflammation will cause gland swelling this includes any viral infection but also any stimulation of the immu e system. reaction to drugs. any injection. or an arthritis that stimuates the immune system
this would hit ALL glands.

the second category is things in the armpit. irritation shaving reaction to clothes or infection with yeast or bacteria. these cause a lot of local symptoms starting with local soreness and redness