question-icon

Does one develop tolerance to ADHD medication?

Posted on Mon, 21 May 2018
Question: do you think it would be acceptable to rotate every 3-6 months the 2 or 3 ADD meds that still work for me to help prevent a tolerance build up to one medicine if I take that medicine for a long time and become tolerant to it?
Answered by Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe (27 hours later)
Brief Answer:
Followup

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for your question.

This is certainly not standard of care and I would not advise it. Tolerance to ADHD medication is very rare. There are actually only two kinds of ADHD medication: methylphenidate and amphetamine, in different preparations of releasing mechanisms. Rotating through medications would not actually change tolerance buildup at all as most medications are really just different releasing mechanisms of the same chemical. I would stick with one medication that works for you.

Dr. Sheppe
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Alexander H. Sheppe

Psychiatrist