Suggest treatment for surgical blister on lower leg of a type 1 diabetic

Posted on Mon, 15 Jun 2015 in Beauty & Cosmetics
Question: Surgical Blister on lower leg of type 1 diabetic close to recent , one month,bypass vein surgery in same area for reduced blood flow in lower leg. What are possible treatments?
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
Puncture with a sterile needle and allow the fluid to drain away.

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I have gone through your query and I have understood your concern.

It can either be left as it is to preserve the sterile environment and allow it to resolve

Or

You can safely puncture the blister, with a sterile needle and allow the blister fluid to drain so that it will turn flaccid.
Do not de-roof the blister after puncture. The blister roof will itself act as a sterile dressing.

Before you puncture wash your hands and clean the area with spirit Or alcohol.

After you puncture you may use an OTC topical antibacterial e.g either 2% Mupirocin ointment , twice daily for a few days.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist