• question-icon

Suggest treatment for subconjunctival hemorrhage in the eye

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Vision and Eye Disorders
Question: I'm an 85-year-old male with a history of life-long allergies, two CABGs and, more recently, diagnoses of dry eye syndrome for which I'm taking Restasis and mild to moderate COPD/emphysema. But I am in pretty good shape by contrast with my age-mates. For the first time today, despite my dry eyes, I noticed that my right eye shows no white at all but instead dark red all over and more deeply so toward the bottom. My question is this: Should I call the doctor now or can I wait until Monday?
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 28 minutes later
Brief Answer:
subconjunctival hemorrhage probably

Detailed Answer:

your description sounds a lot like subconjunctival hemorrhage. You shouldn't have any visual deficit or dysfunction with it and - usually - no symptoms. If it looks like the image in the following link:
https://patient.info/health/subconjunctival-haemorrhage-leaflet
then this is it. It's a benign condition that heals by itself without any medical intervention. If it happens too often or you take any blood thinners then perhaps you should talk with your doctor for appropriate investigation. Otherwise no investigation or treatment would be required.

I hope you find my comments helpful!
Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 3 minutes later
The much deeper red area behind my lower lid appears to be unevenly swollen.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 5 minutes later
Brief Answer:
if it looks like the image I've told you , no problem...

Detailed Answer:
Did you check the image? If it looks like this then this is just broken capillaries in the conjunctiva that will heal by themselves within days to weeks (depending on the extent of bleeding). Your eyelids should be intact (without any sign of bleeding or anything) and you should have no symptoms. The only abnormal area should be over the white of your eye. A part of it should be red. If my description fits your case then you can wait...

Otherwise an ophthalmologist should check your eye as soon as possible...

Kind Regards!
Follow up: Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 10 minutes later
Yes. I did check the image. The only things that do not quite fit the image and/or your description are (1) that the symptom I do have, the one that moved me to look in the mirror, is that my eye feels more and more persistently irritated than at other times when it is and (2) that the red does not cover just part of the white of my eye but all of it all the way up.
Answered by Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
please read the complete answer

Detailed Answer:
Having a mild discomfort is OK for subconjunctival hemorrhage. Some patients may have a scratchy feeling. And the red area may cover the white of the eye completely but only the white area, nothing more than that.

If you have any red areas elsewhere or you have discharge or important symptoms like significant itching or pain then you should visit the ophthalmologist today...

Kind Regards!
Dr. Panagiotis Zografakis