• question-icon

Suggest treatment for stress and anxiety

Posted on Mon, 2 Feb 2015 in Mental Health
Question: I am undergoing terrible stress and anxiety due to a health crisis with my daughter. I have lost 12 pounds, can't sleep and very depressed. Am tall and thin to start but this week lost my sense of taste on my tongue. Is this due to the sudden weight loss, an euro response to the terrible anxiety I am suffering or could it be a vitamin deficiency?
Answered by Dr. Ravi Soni 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be because of the anxiety and stress

Detailed Answer:
Hi, thanks for writing through HCM.

I have read your query and understood your concerns.

A person feels lots of stress and anxiety when a loved one is ill either physically or mentally. Your reactions to your daughter's physical illness are obvious and expected.

Sometimes due to anxiety and excessive worry the tingling, numbness and loss of taste or altered perception of taste is common.

At your age the vitamin deficiencies are common but if it is because of vitamin deficiency then it would have been present for long, it can not be a acute condition.

Here, I suggest you to visit a psychiatrist and tell your problems, discuss about the solution and ask whether you need any antidepressant drug to help you cope this situation.

Weight loss, stress and anxiety favors the psychological onset of all the symptoms. If you shall take the antidepressant then all these symptoms might improve without doing anything specific. Talking to a therapist will also help a lot.

Hope I have answered your query. If you have further query then I will be happy to help.
wish you good health.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju
Dr. Ravi Soni

Psychiatrist