Suggest treatment for strep throat, cough and congestion in a child

Dr. Diptanshu Das

Pediatrician

Posted on Thu, 23 Mar 2017 in Child Health
Question: I have a six year old kindergartener who has been sick since Halloween. He has had strep throat, ear infections, cough and head congestion. He also has very large lymph nodes on his neck. While I know these are all apart of childhood, I'm concerned that it has been non-stop and antibiotics just keep him 'un-sick' for about five days and then he is sick all over again. What should I do?
Answered by Dr. Diptanshu Das 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Suggestions given.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for asking on HealthcareMagic.

I have gone carefully through the details and understand your concern. Most often such symptoms are due to viral infections. Even if they are due to bacterial cause, irrespective of treatment it usually spontaneously resolves in 5-7 days and antibiotics are meaningless to be given. Some children are more prone to catching cold and recurrent episodes are seen. Such infections are frequently associated with an allergic component and the elevation in Immunoglobulin (possibly IgE) confirms this propensity.

Give him colorful fruits and vegetables regularly. They contain vitamins, minerals and plenty of antioxidants which should help in boosting the immunity of your child. Cold temperatures depress immunity and should be avoided.

If he catches cold you need to give steam inhalation to your child. It helps in reducing the congestion. The water vapor will be in the air and automatically the child will breathe it in. Water vapor will reach deep inside and would help in diluting the cough and thus would provide relief. Use Nasoclear Saline Nasal Drops in case of nose block.

Feel free to write back.