• question-icon

Suggest treatment for stomach pain and diarrhea

Posted on Wed, 18 Jan 2017 in Liver and Gall Bladder
Question: My mother[65yrs] is having issues for last more than few years whenever she takes something dry without water like dry yellow rice, paratha she nomally vomits, what could be the reason. Currently she is having stomach ache with loose motions for last 2 days for which she took SPORLAC 2 sachets along with NORFLEX TZ one tablet but there is not much relief, she normally does not eat in the night. Could you please let me know the reason with details like precautions along with correct line of treatment. Is it due to severe cold in northern region. She is not able to pass the gas as well due to motions.

Currently the pain on both sides of stomach.She is diabetic and there are no issues with her kidneys currently and diabetes is also under control.
Answered by Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh 24 hours later
Brief Answer:
Hi

Detailed Answer:
Hello Mr XXXXXXX
Welcome to HCM.
Thank you for your query.
I understand your concern.
Possibly she has an acute food or borne infection affecting the intestine currently.
It does say longer especially in diabetes and elderly people.
Can give her mild antispasmodic like cyclopam if pain and continue with other medications as per your physician. If there is severe pain vomiting fever or no relief better to visit physician urgently.
Also worthwhile getting stool examination done once to see if there is any unusual infection.
About the problem of difficulty in swallowing solid n dry food need to be evaluated can get a barium examination done for same to look for any obstruction if deemed necessary can get an endoscopy done after consulting your gastroenterologist as to rule out any sinister cause like cancer.
Also avoid taking bolus of dry foods or salads or fruits which might sometimes get stuck in case there is any esophageal narrowing. Unlikely it is related to cold weather.
Hope this answers your questions.
Wish her a speedy recovery.
Happy to help.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng
Dr. Abhijit Deshmukh

Gastroenterologist