Suggest treatment for stabbing pain in the right leg

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 22 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I have had a sharp pulsating stabbing pain in my lower right leg about 6 inches below my knee, right side. It has come about three times the last two days and hurts so much I have to take the load off my leg a sit down. A area about 3 by 6 inches is very sore and tender to the touch. I do not remember any recent trauma. I do not feel any warmth or hardness in the area. I went to an urgent care on Sunday, my vitals were fine. The Dr. thought it may be a spring muscle, would you agree? Why the sharp stabbing pain attacks?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
It can be bursitis or stress fracture

Detailed Answer:
Hello, I have studied your case and there are two conditions which can cause sharp pain. One is bursitis that is collection of fluid near joints due to sleeping in wrong position or standing for long time.
Other condition is stress fracture that is hair line Crack in bones. I have following suggestions for you.
1.tablet Etoricoxib or Brufen 400 mg twice daily.
2.hot water fomentation
3.voveron gel local application
4.avoid standing for long time.
5.in case pain is not relieved then get x rays of the leg.
I hope this answer will be useful for you. Let me know if you have any other follow up questions.
Thanks