Get your health question answered instantly from our pool of 18000+ doctors from over 80 specialties
172 Doctors Online

By proceeding, I accept the Terms and Conditions

Dr. Andrew Rynne
Dr. Andrew Rynne

Family Physician

Exp 50 years

HCM Blog Instant Access to Doctors
HCM BlogQuestions Answered
HCM Blog Satisfaction

Suggest treatment for spinal injury while treating degenerative disc disease

Answered by
Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Practicing since :2002

Answered : 1209 Questions

Posted on Fri, 26 Aug 2016 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: hi Dr rynne . back in may I fell and ended up with a impact fracture to my spine ( I think that's what it's called ) .,I have degenerative disc disease also. the fracture is in the mid area of my back . my l7 is almost completely gone with 2 others bad ( but not as bad ) . the injury cause many nerves to become pinched on the inside and outside of my spine . my concern is the last 2 days when I sit or move in a certain way it feels like something in my left ribs is moving. I can't get comfortable in any position sitting or laying well in my upper back I can feel my something sharp poking me from the inside. what could this be ?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 40 minutes later
Brief Answer:
nothing to worry about

Detailed Answer:
How was your day?

Hope this message finds you in good health.
I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concern.

it seems you have had a compression fracture of the spine vertebra and also disc prolapse. Seems to be big injury. Its good that even after so many injuries, you have no loss of power in the legs.

such fractures generally take 6-9 months to heal completely and to regain complete strength.

The sharp pain in ribs and back that you are talking about seems to be due to a nerve being compressed causing radiating pain in those regions.

I will advise you to use long spinal corset while moving around to give support to the damaged spine, so that the body weight doesnt compress on the nerves.

Apply local gel,hot fomentation, analgesics and pregaba tablets. If its unrelieved, get an xray/mri done to find out what else could be wrong.

You should eventually get back to normal in coming few days.Nothing to worry about, as long as i am there to help you.     

I hope your question has been answered.
Feel free to consult me anytime for follow-up queries. Take care,God bless.
Wish you a healthy life : )
If you do not have any clarifications,you can close the discussion.
Kind Regards..
Dr Mahaveer Patil, (MBBS,MS,Mch)
Consulting Orthopaedic and Trauma Surgeon

-     If you were satisfied and happy with my answer ,PLEASE RATE THIS ANSWER AND LEAVE YOUR SINCERE FEEDBACK .

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Veerisetty Shyamkumar

The User accepted the expert's answer

Share on
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions ,   ,   ,  
Lab Tests

Recent questions on  Disc prolapse

doctor1 MD

Hello hope perhaps you can shead some light I am 45 and I seem to have pain and tightness along the spine and upper and mid back I have had this...

doctor1 MD

Hi ive been having back pain for awhile due to pickup a 2 yearold and then suddenly last night i bent over to pick her up then a sound of a pop...

doctor1 MD

My 63 year old son has developed painful feet. It started in middle of back several years ago, & worked itself down to his legs. Now, he cannot...

doctor1 MD

Hi, I had three injections 4 years ago for my sciatica, epidural, facit joint and nerve block, all made the pain worse, but, during the last...

doctor1 MD

i was not as informative as i should of been in my last question one of the answers said. start by again saying i am 32 years old,female,suffering...