Suggest treatment for sore throat

Dr. Michelle Gibson James

Posted on Wed, 31 Aug 2016 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I've had problems with my tonsils and a sore throat. Took antibiotics and the sore throat cleared up. However, I was referred to a ENT to follow up about my throat and tonsils, neck/ear pain. ENT saw me and under my chin found a small bump on the same side as where my tonsils were inflamed. Told me to come back in 3 weeks for a follow up to see if they go down after taking the antibiotics. It didn't and he said it's probably just still some inflammation but it shouldn't be there. Said I could leave it alone or do surgery to have it removed and a biopsy run on the bump. I asked if it was cancerous and he said since I was in good health/40yrs old and no previous problems it was highly unlikely it was cancerous and that it was just inflammation, but the only way to really tell was to do the surgery. Just wanted a second opinion. Thank you.
Answered by Dr. Michelle Gibson James 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
more likely due to infection

Detailed Answer:
HI, thanks for using healthcare magic

As the ENT doctor stated, the enlarged lymph node is likely due to the infection that occurred. Infection is the most common cause and is very likely the cause for you.

Most do resolve by week 3 to 4 (after initiating treatment) but few can persist for longer and do not necessarily mean that there is any serious problem.

You can consider a simple blood test first ,if you want to make sure, instead of a biopsy.

A complete blood count with a peripheral blood smear to take a look at the blood under the microscope or automatically with a machine would provide information.

LDH and uric acid blood tests are also normally done at this time. These values go up if there are serious causes for the lymph node enlargement eg leukemia or lymphoma
As stated , this is not likely but you can do the blood tests all the same.

Your GP can do these for you

if these are abnormal, a biopsy be required

I hope this helps, feel free to ask any other questions