Suggest treatment for sore throat and sinus infection

Dr. Paparaja S

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 23 Feb 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have had a horrible head cold for 5 days. It started with horrible sore throat and sinus infection and sore throat now gone but sinuses still inflamed and ears very clogged. My sinuses are itching so much that i am coughing to the point of sore muscles and nearly passing out. Am concerned my nose will clog and throat will close. Is there anything i can do? I took 2 zicam a few days ago but am afraid to take more - also took tylenol cold a couple of hours ago but it didnt work. Please advise. Thank you
Answered by Dr. Paparaja S 41 minutes later
Brief Answer:
This could be a sinus infection.

Detailed Answer:
Welcome to healthcare magic.
I had gone through your question.
This could be a sinus infection. Nothing to worry you will be fine.
Clogging sensation of ears is secondary to your sinus infection and nasal blockade.
The cough could be secondary to post nasal drip associated with sinus infection.
I recommend the following.
1) A course of antibiotics.
2) Oxymetazoline nasal drops to relieve nasal blockade. Don't use these drops continuously for more than 6 days. you can get it by primary doctor prescription.
3) Antihistaminic with phenylephrine will improve your ear blocking sensation as well as nasal blockade.
4) Analgesics for sinus pain.
5) Steam inhalation to promote sinus ventilation and improve sinus drainage.

You will be alright.
Hope I have answered your question. If you have any questions, I am happy to help you.

Wish you speedy recovery and good health.

Dr Paparaja S MBBS MS
consultant ENT surgeon
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Bhagyalaxmi Nalaparaju