Can sinus medication cause high BP?

Dr. Ilir Sharka

Cardiologist

Posted on Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: I have been forced to use of lot or nasal spray to fight a recent sinus condition. my blood pressure has increased simultaneously. Is the sinus medication responsible?
Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that these nasal drops contain a substance which causes vessel constriction (oxymetazoline).

For this reason, if used in large quantities, it can be absorbed in the blood and cause a raise in blood pressure values.

From the other hand, you should know that these nasal drops should not be used for a long time (more than a week), because they may irritate the nasal mucosa, causing the opposite (nasal congestion) and exacerbate the situation.

In this regard, I would recommend using concentrated saline, which can be used for longer time, without irritating the nasal mucosa.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri