Can sinus medication cause high BP?

Cardiologist
Question
I have been forced to use of lot or nasal spray to fight a recent sinus condition. my blood pressure has increased simultaneously. Is the sinus medication responsible?
Mon, 23 Apr 2018 in Hypertension and Heart Disease

Answered by Dr. Ilir Sharka 23 minutes later
Brief Answer:
I would recommend as follows:

Detailed Answer:
Hello!

Welcome and thank you for asking on HCM!

Regarding your concern, I would explain that these nasal drops contain a substance which causes vessel constriction (oxymetazoline).

For this reason, if used in large quantities, it can be absorbed in the blood and cause a raise in blood pressure values.

From the other hand, you should know that these nasal drops should not be used for a long time (more than a week), because they may irritate the nasal mucosa, causing the opposite (nasal congestion) and exacerbate the situation.

In this regard, I would recommend using concentrated saline, which can be used for longer time, without irritating the nasal mucosa.

Hope you will find this answer helpful!

Kind regards,

Dr. Iliri