Suggest treatment for sore throat and sinus draining

Dr. Muhammed Aslam

Posted on Tue, 20 Jan 2015 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Over the holiday, I began to have signs of a sore throat, so I promptly began gargling with salt water and making sure to prop my head up at night, as I at times have problems with my sinuses draining. When I'd been trying everything I could to get rid of the sore throat but the pain and soreness of it kept getting worse, I went to a doctor a couple days later, fearing I'd caught strep throat. I've had what I was told was just post nasal drip/drainage, (this was diagnosed by an MedExpress Urgentcare doctor, and he gave me a prescription for Claritin D and a liquid steroid I was to take once a day for three days). The pain and swelling of my throat has lessened finally, though I did lose my voice for the most part and am now starting to get it back, but now my sinuses seem to be acting up more, with yellowish green mucus I'm coughing up and blowing my nose frequently. My ears also have the constant feeling that they need to pop or there's cotton in them (mainly the right now at the moment), and my right eye has just in this past hour, started becoming red, and producing a lot of yellowish discharge. Should I go back to another doctor or is there anything I can do or get over the counter that will help, because I'm sick of being sick at this point.

Also, my sinuses seem to hurt when I bend down to pick things up or tie my boots, as well as my upper row of teeth seem to be slightly throbbing as if I have a toothache coming on
Answered by Dr. Muhammed Aslam 44 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Bacterial sinusitis likely;need antibiotics.

Detailed Answer:
Hello dear, welcome to HCM forum.
Thanks for posting to us.

I have gone through your query in detail and understand your concerns.
Your history is suggestive of bacterial sinusitis. This can cause secondary infection in eye via naso lacrimal duct, and referred pain in upper rows of teeth. The earache may be caused by referred pain or secondary eustachian tube dysfunction.

We can treat this condition with antibiotics like azithromycin or amoxicillin+clavulonate along with antihistamines/decongestants for a few days. Kindly see your doctor(preferably an ENT specialist) without any delay for starting treatment.

Meanwhile, start steam inhalation every 4 hours. Avoid exposure to cold/dust. Continue warm saline gargles. Avoid cold drinks. For headache/sinus heaviness, you can take simple analgesics like acetaminophen or ibuprofen.

Hope I have answered your query.
Be free to ask if you need further clarification.
Wishing for a faster cure.
Thank you.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T