question-icon

Suggest treatment for soft tissue injury in an elderly person

Posted on Tue, 19 May 2015
Question: My 80 year old mother fell on her knee this morning. It is starting to hurt a lot. What should we do for relief? She took an Aleve and has put cold compresses.
Answered by Dr. Saurabh Gupta (25 minutes later)
Brief Answer:
Beside icing and taking Aleve, elevate the limb.

Detailed Answer:

From description it seems to be soft tissue injury .
She need an x-ray to rule out any bony injury.

I suggest he to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. She may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance.

Beside icing and taking Aleve, she can elevate the limb to reduce pain and inflammation.Avoid putting weight and rest well.

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Neel Kudchadkar
Dr. Saurabh Gupta

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement