Suggest treatment for small hole in right ear

Dr. Rajkishori Godhi

ENT Specialist

Posted on Mon, 4 Aug 2014 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: Dear Sir/Madam
My father has a very small hole in his right ear, whenever there is colde during rainy season or winter some watery liquid runs from his ear and has pain. Due to which he can't sleep at night. This is happening last 3 years. Please prescribe some medicine and long term solution. He is of 59 years and diabetic. Take diabetic medicine regularly.
Please help.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 52 minutes later
Brief Answer:
may need surgery

Detailed Answer:
Hello Sir and thanks for using healthcaremagic,

If the hole has been there for 3 years then the only solution is to get operated to close it.

There is no medicine that can close the hole that has been there for 3 years.

Please see an ENT specialist to confirm that the hole is present.

Do not worry, it is a very simple surgery and can be done under local anaesthesia and requires less than an hour to do it.

The results in expert hands are very good but there is a small chance of reperforation.

Till then keep the ear dry and do not let water to enter the ear. Do not try to clean the ear.

Dr Rajkishori Godhi
Follow up: Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 58 minutes later
Thanks for the suggestion , please suggest medicine for immediate releif. He is in a village so immediate can't visit an ENT. Please suggest ear drop and antibiotic if any required till the time he visits an ENT.
Answered by Dr. Rajkishori Godhi 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
otocin ear drops

Detailed Answer:
hello,
he can start otocin ear drops 2 drops 3 times a day for 5 days.
he can take pain killers like paracetamol or ibuprofen after checking the dose.

he should keep his ears dry.
regards,
dr rajkishori godhi