Suggest treatment for sleep apnea

Posted on Mon, 24 Nov 2014 in Lung and Chest disorders
Question: I recently went to a sleep clinic. I slept fine until the man put a mask that covered my nose and mouth. A hose was blowing air in my nose and mouth,and it inflated polyps in my nose, and I nearly suffocated. This condition lased until I put EMPI patches on the back of my neck and under my ears. My breathing returned to normal in less than 3 minutes.
That clinic said I have severe case of sleep apnea. I don't believe they were thorough in their search.
I believe they just want to sell medical equipment. I've never had complaints of snoring from people around me, and most of the time I wakeup rested.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 17 minutes later
Brief Answer:
What were the reasons for which you went there?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about what you experienced at this clinic. You state that you have been sleeping well, get up well rested and no one has ever complained about you snoring. Because you seem to report no sleeping difficulties, am curious to know what prompted this sleep study in the first place.

I cannot independently say you have sleep apnea or not. I am even unable to suspect as you have not reported your symptoms and the probable reasons for which you were asked to do this test. I will suggest that you detail out what the exact health worries are at this time to me for independent analysis.

For now, I know there is real lack of trust in the doctor's patient relationship. I don't know exactly what it would take to restore it. Should it be required, I will suggest that you get this test repeated at another testing facility so as to have a second opinion on this before completely denying the findings and recommendations.

I hope this helps. I look forward to obtaining more information on this for further analysis and suggestions. I wish you well.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 days later
I had to have a DOT physical, I went to Concentra Mesa Az. The one on Southern and Dobson in Mesa. The male nurse measured my neck and looked in my throat and I failed my DOT physical. They said I had to be treated for sleep apnea before I could pass the DOT physical.
I went to a clinic in XXXXXXX and was badly diagnosed.
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
What did they propose as the way forward?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this follow up.

I understand how much this is troubling to you. I wonder what it takes to go on and pass this test. What did they say is the way forward to fix this after failing the physical?

If the norms suggest that you cannot pas the test with the limitations that they have put, then I believe it is in you best interest. They would not want you to find yourself behind the wheel if it would constitute greater risk for you with the condition. What matters now is to follow through and get the necessary measures in place to be able to pass when you next return.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Let me know what your take is on this.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T
Dr. Chobufo Ditah