Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
173 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for skin tag on vagina

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by
Practicing since : 2001
Answered : 12686 Questions
Hi, I am 35 and have a skin tag on the vagina . Just wondering is it ok to leave it to fall out on its own?
Posted Tue, 19 Aug 2014 in Pregnancy
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You can leave these.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for trusting us with your health concern.
Presence of vaginal skin tags with no pigmentation is a harmless finding. These are benign in nature and remain like that for many years.
If you are too much concerned about their presence then you can get them removed either surgically or with the help of laser treatment but that is not necessary.
You only need to self monitor these lesions for any change in shape, size, color, irregular margins, ulceration, pain, etc. If any of these changes do appear it means they need to be investigated and then removed under the guidance of your dermatologist.
These are not likely to fall off on their own. These usually remain like that for years.
Please feel free to discuss further. I will be glad to answer the follow up queries that you have.
Wishing you good health.
Dr. Rakhi Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Follow-up: Suggest treatment for skin tag on vagina 7 minutes later
Thank you doctor
Just want to know what brings on skin tags? I only have one around the clitoris area, it's not painful or abnormal in shape. It's quite red in colour , somewhat prominent but not uncomfortable. I noticed it appeared suddenly when I wore brand new underwear , could it be the reaction /friction?

Also, I'm quite terrified to have a pap smear due to the last experience at doc's GP where the examination had to be aborted due to the level of uncomfort I was in. I couldn't help spasm each and every time and it's been 5 years since my last. Is there any way to perform a pap smear at home? I have two C-sections and I think having a device inserted into my cervix is somewhat of a phobia for me. I can't help it.

Thank you for your help.
Answered by Dr. Rakhi Tayal 18 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Details below.

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for writing again.
These are benign growths and can grow due to friction or allergy or without any specific reason. PAP sear cannot be done at home. This has to be done at your gynecologist's office. You can ask her to use a short sedation during the procedure to decrease the discomfort.
Hope my answer is helpful.
Do accept my answer in case there are no further queries.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an OBGYN

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor