• question-icon

Suggest treatment for side effects of Doxycycline

Posted on Tue, 18 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: My son was on doxycycline. He evidently has a reaction to it and went to a 24 hr clinic. They did ekg, blood work, urinalysis and monitored him for an hour or two. Said it's an allergic reaction to this drug. His symptoms have been itching, sensitivity to warm water on his legs, says it feels like a sunburn, burning in his legs, arm and face. He stopped mess yesterday. What else can he do?

Waiting
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Antihistaminic and topical steroid

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at HealthcareMagic
If I was his treating doctor I would recommend him to take antihistaminic like tablet Cetrizine 10 mg once or twice daily depending on the intensity of itching and apply topical steroid like cortisone cream on the affected areas twice daily for 5-7 days.
This should relieve his symptoms.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Vaishalee Punj
Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist