Suggest treatment for shortness of breath and chest pain when diagnosed with orthostatic hypotension

Dr. Chobufo Ditah

Posted on Thu, 1 Sep 2016 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: It's very hot in my city today, aprox 40" with Humidex. I just walked up a flight of two stairs and at the end of the flight of stairs I felt quite short of breath and a bit dizzy. I am physically active daily and never have any problems with tightness of chest pain etc however do occasionally have bouts of orthostatic hypotension. I experienced this shortness of breath not during, but immediately after climbing the two flights of stairs and was a little light headed. Is this a possible symptom of orthostatic hypotension? I have excellent tolerance to exercise normally. I am worried that I might have Coronary Artery Disease. I just had an 2D Echo which was normal. 6 Feet, 155 Lbs.I mean 2 flights of stairs not 2 stairs!
Answered by Dr. Chobufo Ditah 31 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Did you drink enough fluids?

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thank you so much for this query.

I am so sorry to hear about this sensation of dizziness. With the temperature this day, you really need to drink so much just to keep the body fluids in a balance. I think the dizziness is more linked to dehydration than any possible heart disease. I will advise that you drink much daily and especially when hot. Also, avoid doing sports on days with increased temperature as the risk of dehydration and heat stroke is highest. Calm down and don't be worried about a possible heart disease are your symptoms are not suggestive of such and further reassurance from the recent 2D echo with no abnormality detected.

I hope this helps. I wish you well. Feel free to ask for more information and clarifications if need be.