Suggest treatment for shooting pain in lower back

Dr. Mukesh Chugh

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Sat, 30 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hello, I have some concerns about my back. I have always had back pain since I can remember, but last night I was working and lifting heavy objects. At the time I didn't have any troubles with my back except a strange popping or clicking when I walk that I've never felt before. It felt like something was popping or grinding on my spine. But it went away. Today I can barely stand and my lower back burns and feels like it has tons of pressure on it. My right leg also has shooting pains and I have no idea what happened. When I sit, I can barely stand back up and when I try to bend over it almost brings me to tears. What did I do?!?
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pinched nerve along with mauscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
Hello
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Based on the symptoms described by you the most likely cause is pinched nerve at lower back that is nerve getting compressed on right side at lower spine. The pain in right leg is medically known as sciatica.
Do you have tingling and numbness in right leg beside pain? Are you able to stand on your heel and toes? Your reply will give me some information regarding the amount of compression on nerve.
Regarding treatment my advice would be-
1. Bed rest that is avoid unnecessary sitting and whenever possible take rest in lying down position.
2. No massage at back and you may take hot water fomentation to relax the muscle of back.
3. You should have pain killer medicine like Ibuprofen, muscle relaxant drugs like Thiocolchicoside along with drug pregablin.
4. Physiotherapy also helps.
Except the Ibuprofen other drugs are prescription only medicine so you may talk to your local doctor.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.