Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
149 Doctors are Online

Suggest treatment for shooting pain in lower back

User rating for this question
Very Good
Answered by

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement
Practicing since : 1997
Answered : 1619 Questions
Hello, I have some concerns about my back. I have always had back pain since I can remember, but last night I was working and lifting heavy objects. At the time I didn't have any troubles with my back except a strange popping or clicking when I walk that I've never felt before. It felt like something was popping or grinding on my spine. But it went away. Today I can barely stand and my lower back burns and feels like it has tons of pressure on it. My right leg also has shooting pains and I have no idea what happened. When I sit, I can barely stand back up and when I try to bend over it almost brings me to tears. What did I do?!?
Posted Fri, 29 Aug 2014 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Answered by Dr. Mukesh Chugh 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Pinched nerve along with mauscle spasm

Detailed Answer:
Thanks for posting
I have gone through your query and understand your concern. Based on the symptoms described by you the most likely cause is pinched nerve at lower back that is nerve getting compressed on right side at lower spine. The pain in right leg is medically known as sciatica.
Do you have tingling and numbness in right leg beside pain? Are you able to stand on your heel and toes? Your reply will give me some information regarding the amount of compression on nerve.
Regarding treatment my advice would be-
1. Bed rest that is avoid unnecessary sitting and whenever possible take rest in lying down position.
2. No massage at back and you may take hot water fomentation to relax the muscle of back.
3. You should have pain killer medicine like Ibuprofen, muscle relaxant drugs like Thiocolchicoside along with drug pregablin.
4. Physiotherapy also helps.
Except the Ibuprofen other drugs are prescription only medicine so you may talk to your local doctor.
Take care and I shall be glad to answer any further query.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+

The user accepted the expert's answer

Ask an Orthopaedic Surgeon

© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor