Suggest treatment for severe swelling and pain in knee

Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale

Posted on Thu, 10 Sep 2015 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: I am perhaps 28lbs over weight but I have been working out at the gym for the last 6 months and lost some weight. I had a problem with my knee when I was young ( too much football) and had an arthrascope and some of my cartlidge removed from my knee.

For the past 4 weeks I have been experiencing sharp pains in my knee but primarily during the night and which wakes me up.
Yesterday for no reason and without knowingly having done anything, my knee has swollen to almost twice its usual size. I have put ice on it and am wearing a compression bandage but it has been huge now for 48 hrs. Any thoughts on what it may be and what i shoulsd do. Thanks
Answered by Dr. Vasudha Jayant Athavale 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Home care & expert advise would help.

Detailed Answer:
Hi XXXXXXX XXXX,
Thanks for the query under Health care magic forum.
I have read your query carefully & understand your concern. Knee being a weight bearing joint, it's problem incapacitates one to do even small routine work,.. causes lot of inconvenience & psychological stress.
You have past history of same knee joint being involved & an Arthroscopic intervention was done to remove one of the internal cartilages. Recently you have started workouts at Gym.. in order to reduce weight. Had you informed the instructor about your past history ? I am afraid the joint was overexerted during the workouts..causing your present problem.
Such exertion can cause/ aggravate joint condition by to getting injured injured/ inflamed .. ( Simple sprain, strain, bursitis, tendinitis, dislocation or even fracture in the joint may be the cause )
In this context I would advise you to consult your Orthopedic consultant immediately. After a through physical examination he may order for X ray/ CT scan/ MRI of the affected joint. Also routine blood counts( to exclude infection) , serum calcium, vitamin D , Hb% would be performed .
management- After spotting exact cause, he will advise you specific treatment.. this usually includes NSAID drugs to alleviate inflammation./ antibiotics as per need/ Vitamin D & calcium supplements./ Steroids are given as a short course to control pain & inflammation./ IN non responding cases surgical treatment may be needed./ Physiotherapy after cure
- Home care- apart from medications, home care forms important part of management. I am happy that you have already started with it still I would like to add few more points to it.
- Cold compress helps in reducing swelling,
- Raise the affected knee comfortably with help of pillows,
- Take rest/ avoid walking/ weight bearing, Use of stick or crutches while walking when it becomes necessary.
- Avoid exertion to knee in future.Find cause of weight gain It can be due to certain medical conditions like diabetes/ thyroid problem.. & can be managed well due to medication along with moderate exercise & diet control.
Thus with doctor's advise & self care you would overcome your problem well & find way out to healthy living.
I hope the answer was both informative & useful to you.. any follow up query you have, I will be happy to help.
Thanks.
-