• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe stress and anxiety

Posted on Mon, 3 Jul 2017 in Hypertension and Heart Disease
Question: My husband has had a pacemaker since 2004 and has had one battery changed, He has had a lot of stress this past week and is now having irregular beats and fluxuations in his blood pressure. He is a diabetic also, He has no chest pain or dizziness, I was wondering if this is temporary because of stress or if he should contact his heart doctor. He is stubborn about this.
Answered by Dr. Bhanu Partap 13 minutes later
Brief Answer:
More likely to be stress related

Detailed Answer:
Hello Maam

After going through the medical query provided by you regarding your husbands health i completely understands your concern.

Here i would like to tell you that the symptoms which you are expressing here co relates more with stress and anxiety and not due to any heart or pacemaker issue.

However i would like to tell you that if any time he complains of any kind of chest discomfort or palpitations or giddiness or feeling of blackout or faintness or generalized fatigue then you should take him to a cardiologist for evaluation with the help of an ECG and pacemaker.

If the regular beats starts happening quite often then the dose of the Toprol needs to be adjusted.

As of now i dont find any thing important that will require a cardiac evaluation to be done.

I hope this information will be of help. If you have any other doubts you can ask me back.

Kind Regards
Dr Bhanu Partap
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy
Dr. Bhanu Partap

Cardiologist