Suggest treatment for severe sore throat, headache, chills and leg pain

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Ear, Nose and Throat Problems
Question: I have a bout of influenza for the past three days. Started with severe sore throat on left side, swollen gland. Next day, acute headache, chills, sweating and leg pain. Yesterday morning my GP took a blood test and swap of my mouth:36% out of 50%, hence no bacteria infection. However, I had more chills and loss of appetite and intense headache. Temp is 37.1C which is high for me, considering it is normally 35.8. i never have a temperature.
This evening I started to experience whooshing sounds in my head/ears. This is the reason I am writing, as it is very worrying. My head feels full.
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 2 hours later
Brief Answer:
Ibuprofen, paracetamol and fluids and rest- no antibiotics recommended

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for writing at HealthcareMagic.

I carefully read your question and understand your concern.

Having sore throat and fever raises suspicion of bacterial infection but a negative culture (a culture that does not find streptococcus) is reassuring. The fact that you have started with some ear noise and a sensation like your head feels full is another reason to consider viral infection as more possible.

Viral infections affect at the same time several locations like ears, throat, eyes (pink eyes) sometimes, the patient might also get horse voice. Bacterial infections tent to affect only one location (throat for example) and do not cause symptoms related to other ones.

Even in case of bacterial infection of the throat antibiotics help reduce symptoms for only 1-2 days and the infection will heal in itself any way so the best treatment that will bring quick relieve is painkillers.

So to conclude:

- by what you explain, having flu like symptoms with sore throat and noise in the ears and head feeling full, very likely you are having a viral infection and antibiotics are not needed but just pain killers, fluids and rest

- negative culture is reassuring

- Make sure you take ibuprofen 400 mg every 6-8 hours after food for next 2-3 days only and paracetamol 500 mg every 6-8 hours after food (do not take them if allergic to any of those medications). Ibuprofen should be after food to protect the stomach. If stomach pains, do not take it.

- Have honey tea but not too hot so not to burn the mucosa

- Rest and drink plenty of fluids

- if you do not improve in 3-4 days you will need to have another visit with your doctor.

I hoe this is helpful and answers to your question but please feel free to ask if anymore clarifications are needed.

Kind regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee