Suggest treatment for severe sciatica

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Tue, 16 May 2017 in Back Pain
Question: About three years ago I had extensive back surgery for two disc fusions and a spinal decompression. It was my third back surgery (I have 6 fusions now in my back and rods and pins/screws) and the surgery was over 9 hours long. After a week I was sent home but I noticed a small tubular line across my pelvic area (at the time my stomach was flat and I was in good shape). It looked like a hernia but when I brought it up at the next visit the doctor said it was a "dropped muscle" At the time I was experiencing a lot of pain from the catheter they inserted and I suspected they may have pierced something but they did a ultrasound and found nothing. It was just nerve damage and as time went by the pain in my urethra subsided. There was no pain from the bulge, just a cosmetic issue, ugly...but I was picking up weight from lack of exercise...so it didn't seem like a priority at the time so I ignored it. I was sick of doctors, and couldn't bear to go to another one. I am a Human Resource Manager and am able to sit down for the most part of my job responsibilities. So I am lucky I can work. Now, however, that bulge is hurting me whether I sit or stand. I noticed it when I started my walking for exercise again, 6 months after the surgery. I would have to hold my side so it didn't hurt as bad. It didn't hurt when I didn't move, though, so I ignored it still. Now the pain is constant. It is moderate but if I am on my feet a lot it is very painful. Some days it just throbs. I have a scar from the middle of my shoulder blades to my tailbone from my back surgery. I get steroid shots in L4 and L5 every three months because those discs are blown and I suffer from terrible sciatica. I refuse to have another surgery, though. I don't even know my own body anymore. I am in constant pain. So, if I tell you the "dropped muscle" hurts...you can believe me...it hurts. On a scale of 1 to 10 it is a 6 to 7. My question is...how does a person go into surgery for a back surgery and come out with a "dropped muscle"? Is this really a hernia and if so, how can something like that happen on the operating table? (Sorry to write a novel:)
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Not directly related to the surgery

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

Well,this "dropped muscle" does not seem to be directly related to surgery.
May be something wrong was done during catheterisation procedure.
It does look like a hernia and a CT scan would confirm it.

Initially,the pain wasn't there because the hernia sac did not contain bowel or peritoneum.
Over the years,due to work,the peritoneum/bowel may have migrated into the hernia sac.

I would suggest you to get a CT scan /USG of abdomen done to confirm the diagnosis.

Let me know once the reports are ready.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy