Suggest treatment for severe pain in the foot

Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement

Posted on Mon, 20 Mar 2017 in Bones, Muscles and Joints
Question: Hi,

I've been having severe ankle pain for about a week and a half. I recently had a reconstructive leg surgery called a knee osteotomy a month ago. They put a apparatus on my leg. My ankle was sore and stiff from my surgery, but i was in PT and things were ok. Last Friday my mom was excercising my foot. She was moving my foot on a circular motion, and stretching it to the side even though it was stiff. The next day i was in severe pain and it hurt to move it. I went to the docotor Monday, and they gave me a x ray and CT scan. They said everything was normal and there weren't any strains or breaks. They said it could be inflamed. It seems like the pain gets worse everyday. Its intolerable. Would inflammation cause this type of pain in my ankle? Also could it be anything else? Would you know how long the pain would usually last for something like this?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 38 minutes later
Brief Answer:
It can be ankle ligament injuries

Detailed Answer:
I have studied your case. Pain and swelling in the ankle can be due to ligament injury during manipulation. But your pain is looking severe and It is increasing. Before I advised you anything I would like to know little detail of the illness.
1.Are you walking on the ankle? Do you able to put weight?
2.Do you have pain during rest or only when you are walking?
3. Can you send me x rays of the ankle?
Please send me answers of these questions. I will try my best to help you.
thanks
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Kampana
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 26 minutes later
I haven't put any weight on my foot in about a week and a half. It hurts when its at rest mostly, but it hurts most when i get out of bed to go anywhere. Im still on crutches from my surgery. I didnt get the xrays from the doctor.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 35 minutes later
Brief Answer:
You need to do Ice application

Detailed Answer:
I think you have an ankle sprained. It can be due to positioning during surgery or traction. I do not think that you need to be worried about this.
1.You need to apply ankle binder. Also, ice fomentation can be done.
2.Tablet Voveron or Etoricoxib can be taken for pain relief.
3.Volitran ointment can be used.
I hope these steps will be helpful for you.Let me know if there are any other follow-up questions.
thanks

Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 9 minutes later
I went to the doctor Monday, and got a CT scan and a xray and they said they couldn't find anything wrong with it. Would a sprain show up on those?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 9 hours later
Brief Answer:
No sprain is not seen on X ray or CT scan

Detailed Answer:
X rays and CT scan is not for soft tissue but for bony injuries. So I would have suggested a MRI if you want to see sprain. Anyway I would suggest you to follow steps advise by me and you will feel better. Remember that pain of sprain can stay for 4 to 6 weeks.
thanks
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 12 hours later
The pharmacist said she had never heard of volitran af Kroger, also should i use ace tape or get an actual brace for the ankle? I have tape on but the pain is still very bad. I bought a ankle brace and tried to put it on but the pain got worse.
Answered by Dr. Naveen Kumar Sharma 2 days later
Brief Answer:
You can use ankle brace (soft )

Detailed Answer:
Ankle brace is better then tape. Just make sure it is not very tight and it should be made up of soft stuff. If you are not getting Volitran then you can try other topic al ointment which should have methyl sallisillate and capsaicin. Remember ankle injury do take 6 weeks in complete healing .
thanks