Suggest treatment for severe nausea while on Zofran

Dr. Happykumar Kagathara

Gastroenterologist, Surgical

Posted on Fri, 3 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: My granddaughter cannot eat due to nausea. We have explored the mental and physical aspects of what could be causing this. She has missed probably half or more of the fall semester of her 7th grade. She constantly complains of stomach pain and nausea. this began when she was on antibiotics last fall and had some inpaction in her bowels. but cannot seems to get back on track and is spirally downward. Went to doc last nite and her bmi is 14....dangerously low and she prob weighs about 45 lbs. she take zofran for nausea. any suggestions or thoughts would be appreciated. thank you. Cheri
Answered by Dr. Happykumar Kagathara 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Esophagitis

Detailed Answer:
I can understand concern for your granddaughter's health.
She might be suffering from esophageal inflammation (redness and swelling) in lower par of esophagus. Most common causes are acid reflux from stomach, infection in esophagus.
she was suffering from intestinal infection for which she had received antibiotic therapy (as mentioned in your query), this itself can cause development of ulcer and/or inflammation in lower part of esophagus and this lead to irritation in esophagus while food pass through that part of esophagus.
She must underwent repeat endoscopy to check status of esophagus and stomach in term of inflammation.
In presence of esophageal inflammation, she should take only bland diet. Also it is recommended to continue medications for acidity which have soothing effect on inflammatory area of stomach and/or esophagus.

Hope I answered your query. If you have any further doubts, I would be happy to help you.
Have a good day.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad