Suggest treatment for severe nausea, vomiting and diarrhea

Dr. Antoneta Zotaj

Posted on Tue, 14 Mar 2017 in Digestion and Bowels
Question: ok a few weeks ago i ask you a ? about the sickness i was having ! thats been goi,g o
n for a few years off and on now,, my daughter had started having the same sickness , we both are burping up the nastiest smelling burps imaginable they smell like sulfer,and nausea and vomiting and sometimes diarrhea comes with it please tell me what this could be or what might cause it or what i can do to make it go away
Answered by Dr. Antoneta Zotaj 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
Some medications recommended, you will need to have some tests also

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for bringing up you query, I care fully read it and understand your concerns related to it.

It is obvious you are having a chronic condition with your bowel and stomach as you seem to be having these on and off for a while.

For symptome relieve at the moment I would recommend you
1. Omeprazole 20 mg 2 tb a day till you get a prescription for further treatment
2. If you can not access Omeprazole quickly you might also use over the counter antiacids that are sold in supermarkets or in pharmacies- normally no need for prescription for those.
3. Something to help with burps is Domperidone, take one tablet twice a day
4. Psillium is a good fiber addition that I would try to help with the bowel movements to be better formed and normal frequency
5. probiotics (enterogermina) are good to restore the bowel flora and might bring some improvement.
6. avoid milk for 2-3 weeks and see if this helps- you can still have cheese and yogurt

The above treatment will probably help with your symptoms but will not resolve the cause of it so you will need to have some checks as this seems a chronic issue and you will need a precise diagnosis and further treatment based on diagnosis.

So what I would recommend is:
- have a visit with your doctor
- he might need to have some tests like stools for ova and parasites (this might need to be repeated 3 times to rule out parasite infection), stool culture, the doctor might ask for an endoscopy of the stomach to check for peptic ulcer disease; rarely a colonoscopy (an endoscopy of the bowel) is needed.
- Tests to rule out gluten intolerance might be needed also.

I hope this is helpful to you and answers to your questions but please feel free to contact me in case more clarifications are needed related to this. I would be glad to explain the results of the tests when you have them available and follow up on them.

I wish you quick improvement

Kind Regards

Dr Antoneta Zotaj

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Nagamani Ng