What causes frequent bowel movements along with flatulence in a child?

Excellent

Pediatrician, Cardiology
Question

My five week old baby is sharting ( shitting while farting) almost 30-35 times a day..like everytime she farts or cries little poop smudges the diapers ..IS ThIS FREQUENCY NORMAL ? i fear her getting diaper rash again with cleaning these wet farts

the wet farts r lil watery n sometime seedy..her poop sometime is smelly. pee count is above 10.
Attaching pic of a nappy after three rounds of such farting.

XXXX
Thu, 19 Apr 2018 in Child Health

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
Frequency is little high

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for asking on this platform for

I have seen the image and I don't find any significant abnormality. Change in stool consistency and frequency is quite common in this age.
Passing small amount of stool with farting is also common in this age. But frequency which you have mentioned like 30-35 in a day is little high.
Passing urine 10-12 times a day is normal.
I would like to know the feed which you are giving to the baby (breast feed or formula feed). Increased farting is seen in commonly babies having increased gas production or constipation.
Increased gas production or flatulence is more common in babies on formula feed/bottle feed.
If baby is on bottle feed change the nipple frequently to avoid swallowing of excess air during feed. Proper burping after each feed helps in relieving the gas. Also avoid spicy food and vegetables like cabbage, broccoli etc as they can cause flatulence in baby.
You may give probiotic to the baby as it helps in maintaining normal gut flora and thus decreases gas production, smell and frequency of stool.
Sometimes if mother consumes dairy products or nuts baby may pass more gas.
I won't get worried if this increased frequency is transient(for 1-2 days).
So try to follow all these measures. I hope this will help.
Please let me know if you have any more questions.

Follow-up: What causes frequent bowel movements along with flatulence in a child? 49 minutes later
hello doctor,

She is exclusively breastfed and i feed her once in two hours approx. She feeds on one breast at a time... we try to burrp her after evry feed .she gets very restless when butrp comes and sometimes ends up not burrping at all

two days back she was on medication for the pooping and diaper rash .doctor had prescribed her enterogermina probiotic and desitin diaper rash cream to put on rash...also rhine spray for nose and she snorts when she is about to get up from sleep.
this frequency of poop is there for almost five days now.
attaching doctors prescription for ur referral

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 10 hours later
Brief Answer:
Continue same, the stool pattern should improve within 3-4 days

Detailed Answer:
Hi

Thanks for follow up

I have gone through the details, checked the prescription and do understand your concern.
I suggest you to continue the exclusive breast feed with the prescribed medications.
The doctor has advised for ultrasound KUB(kidney, ureter and bladder) also just as a screening to rule out any renal abnormality.
I won't get overly worried if baby is passing urine, accepting feeds well, there is no significant vomiting or there is no abdominal fullness.
Observe for the pattern of stool and I hope it should improve within next few days.
Nasal blockage is also common in this age and putting nasal saline drops helps.

Follow-up: What causes frequent bowel movements along with flatulence in a child? 5 hours later
thankyou doc...the KUB scan was done and all parametres are normal and all doubts r ruled out.
Like inhad said the smudge count was 30-35 ( gradually decreasing) and smudging is more when she cries than farts...she aint farting much...also has been active ..

thankyou so much for your feedback and advise

Answered by Dr. Pradeep Kumar 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Wishing for her good health

Detailed Answer:
I wish her all good health.
I shall be glad to help further if you need any.

Warm regards