Suggest treatment for severe muscle strain from back to left shoulder

Dr. Praveen Tayal

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Fri, 30 Oct 2015 in Back Pain
Question: I am a 39 year old female, 5'6'' 200 lbs. I also suffer from health We recently sold our house and for the last three weeks have been moving everything from furniture and big boxes to small things. The first weekend we were moving I helped my husband move a relatively large table that bad to be turned vertical to get through a door, and although it was heavy I didn't feel anything particularly painful at that point. The next morning however I woke up with pretty bad pain in the mid back area radiating over to my left shoulder. Nothing on the right side. Over the last three weeks it has not gotten worse, but has not gone away, and is constant unless I am really up and moving around (not lifting things though). NSAIDs and Tylenol, Aleve and muscle relaxants do nothing. The pain does lessen through the day when I am more active but gets worse again early morning - morning. I received a chest X-ray that was clear and told by my doctor that it was a bad muscle strain and sent I physical therapy, which I haven't started yet. Massage therapy feels good while being done, but doesn't alleviate pain otherwise. I have never had an issue like this before and am not used to not having painkillers work, at least somewhat. Can this be normal for muscle injuries? Icy hot does give minor relief as does heat. Would a chest X-ray have seen of it could've been something more serious? The dr said he was trying to rule out "anything going on in there". I trust this doctor very much and he knows me well, I just forgot to ask him what the xray would've ruled out and if I didn't need to worry if it was anything else. My health anxiety is treated and I am in counseling for it, but the constant pain is a constant trigger.
Answered by Dr. Praveen Tayal 4 hours later
Brief Answer:
A muscle sprain likely.

Detailed Answer:
The constant pain in the back and shoulder is likely to be due to a muscle strain. The muscle strain can be painful for a long time if a proper rest is not provided for healing. X-ray can exclude any associated bony injury or a disc prolapse.
A better tool to diagnose such soft tissue injuries is MRI scan,. For pain relief it is best to do a hot compress in the area thrice a day and apply a local analgesic gel over the area.
I hope this answers your query.
In case you have additional questions or doubts, you can forward them to me, and I shall be glad to help you out.
Regards.
Dr. Praveen Tayal.
For future query, you can directly approach me through my profile URL http://bit.ly/Dr-Praveen-Tayal