Suggest treatment for severe migraine during pregnancy

Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali

Posted on Sat, 24 Oct 2015 in General Health
Question: I have been on Nexdom 250 SOS and Betacap+5 for last 3 months. In case I plan baby, how my high degree migraine would be controlled? I am really worried. I am 25 female and going to marry soon. Kindly advice
Answered by Dr. Mohammed Taher Ali 1 hour later
Brief Answer:
The prescribed medications are not safe during pregnancy.

Detailed Answer:
Hi & Welcome.

I can understand your concerns for the safety of the prescribed medications and how to control the migraine attacks during pregnancy.

Betacap (beta blocker) is used to prevent attacks of migraine in women having severe migraine. It can reduce the perfusion of the placenta which may lead to adverse outcomes for the new born baby hence contraindicated during pregnancy.

Naxdom (Naproxen+Domperidone) is also effective in the treatment of migraine, however it should be avoided in late pregnancy because it may cause premature closure of the ductus arteriosus (a type of congenital heart disease in new born).

For many females the migraine attack seems to improve during pregnancy especially if the migraine is associated without aura. It may other wise continuing to occur if the migraine is associated with aura.

If you are planning to get pregnant the following measures could be useful in controlling the high degree migraine without having an adverse impact on your unborn baby.

1. Avoid the triggers like hunger, chocolates, Ajinmotto salt, cheese, lack of sleep, bright light or loud noise which can induce a migraine headache.
2. Eat little & often, keep yourself hydrated
Try eating snacks, such as fruit and crackers, and if you experience nausea drinking ginger tea, or using acupressure wristbands can be helpful.
3. Take multivitamin supplements
4. Avoid smoking or alcohol (if you are doing so).
5. Do regular exercise, this can also help with your migraine.
6. Paracetamol is considered to be the safest drug to be used during pregnancy for an acute attack of migraine.
7. Drugs like Doxinate (+Pyridoxine) or Prochlorperazine can be used safely to control the nausea and vomiting.

Hope the suggestions given above could be useful in controlling the migraine attack during pregnancy.

Regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Raju A.T