Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Dr. Naveen Poola

Urologist

Posted on Fri, 24 Mar 2017 in Urinary and Bladder Problems
Question: So I have been having terrible lower back pain in the mornings that only goes away after Urinating. It hurts pretty bad and it comes and goes. Some Mornings its there and some its not. I had a urine test done a few weeks ago and it was all normal. They also sent it out to be tested and it came back normal. I also had a ultrasound and that was normal. All My blood work has been normal. I had a cat scan done about 8 months ago because they thought I had apendix issue but it turned out that I did not, however I did have a enlarged liver and spleen. I went through many many many blood test and they all came back normal. Fast Forward 8 months and the Gastro did more blood work and a ultra sound of the abdomen. All the blood work came back normal and the ultra sound showed normal kidney, liver, spleen, and all other organs. He sent me to a hemotoligist and he did a ton of blood work and sent me for a nuclear liver and spleen scan. All the blood work and the scan came back normal. I had more blood work (CBC) done yesterday and it came back normal. Do you have any idea what could be causing this pain? I drink a lot of water every day, 1 cup of coffee, 1 energy drink, 1 diet mountain dew. My urine is a bit more yellow than normal but it could just be because I pay more attention to it. It also appears oily looking almost as if there is a little oil in it. However the Urine test all came back normal. I know I have been under a tremendous amout of stress and I do sit in a chair 10 hours a day. Is there specific blood work I should Ask for?
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 3 hours later
Brief Answer:
suggest you to get an MRI of lumbar spine done.

Detailed Answer:

As the urine examination and ultrasound abdomen are normal we can exclude urine infection and kidney stones which may sometime present this way.

However, as you've mentioned that you spend lots of time sitting in chair, I'd suggest you to get an MRI of lumbar spine done.

However a physical examination before that by an Orthopedician/Neurologist will be helpful.

Feel free to ask further.
Thanks

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Arnab Banerjee
Follow up: Dr. Naveen Poola 38 minutes later
I had a feeling you might say that. I do have a very bad back, could that be causing the pain in the mornings? as well as the occasional pain through out the day?

Thanks
Answered by Dr. Naveen Poola 2 minutes later
Brief Answer:
possibly. Yes, I think so.

Detailed Answer:
Hello again,

Possibly, Yes, I think so.

Thanks