Suggest treatment for severe lower back pain

Dr. Mahaveer Patil

Orthopaedic Surgeon

Posted on Mon, 6 Mar 2017 in Kidney Conditions
Question: recently had very bad back pain,have been doing alot of streching of lower back and legs.would this cause microscopic blood to show up in my urine?
Answered by Dr. Mahaveer Patil 19 minutes later
Brief Answer:
renal calculi

Detailed Answer:

Thank you for posting the question.
I have gone through your medical history in detail.

The low back pain and the microscopic blood in the urine seem to be very much related.

Renal calculi (kidney stones) usually cause severe back pain initially when they pass from the kidneys through the ureter to urinary bladder and urethra.

While passing down,they cause injury to the internal lining mucosa of the ureter / urethra causing blood through urine.

Actual stretching of the back and the leg is not causing the blood in urine.

I would suggest you to get ultrasound scan of the abdomen done to rule out renal calculi / other kidney related causes.

Other causes of low back pain can be ruled out by doing MRI scan of the lumbar spine.

I would suggest you to drink plenty of water (approx. 2-3 litres / day).

Take anti-spasmodics containing dicyclomine or mefanimic acid for severe pain.

I hope the answer was useful.

Feel free to ask me any follow up queries that you may have.

Do let me know the reports once they are ready.

Thank you.
Kind regards.

Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Remy Koshy