• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe itching on the scalp

Posted on Tue, 4 Jul 2017 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I have an itching scalp. Recently I did hair shaving to get rid of dandruff. I am using Anti dandruff shampoo. but still my scalp is itching. there are some red spots as well. please suggest what to do
Thanks.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 43 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you for writing to us

I am dr. kakkar (dermatologist). I have gone through your query and I have noted your concern.
You seem to have seborrheic dermatitis of the scalp. This condition usually presents as itching, scaling and ill-defined dull red patches on the scalp.
I suggest you to use an antidandruff shampoo e.g Scalpe shampoo which is a ketoconazole and Zinc pyrithione shampoo. Use it daily. Lather it well onto wet scalp and allow it on to act for 10 minutes and then rinse it off.
Ay night use a topical steroid lotion on scalp skin e.g elocon lotion (contains mometasone furoate 0.1%) for 2 weeks.

Follow up: Dr. Kakkar S. 5 minutes later
Hi..I am using ketoconazole for last one month.. have not observed significant effects.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 5 hours later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for seborrheic dermatitis

Detailed Answer:
Hi.

You may also try using a topical steroid lotion application at night, as suggested in my reply i.e Elocon lotion or Momate lotion (mometasone furoate 0.1% lotion). Also try using a coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoo e.g Protar shampoo. Use it daily for 2 weeks and thereafter every alternate days for maintenance.

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist