Suggest treatment for severe dandruff and hair loss

Dr. Kakkar S.

Dermatologist

Posted on Fri, 4 May 2018 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: I am having a very high rate of danddrof and during last few months hair fall increased lot. I want to control it. please advice.
Answered by Dr. Kakkar S. 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Remedy for severe dandruff

Detailed Answer:
Hello. Thank you.
I am Dr kakkar (Dermatologist and Venereologist). I have noted your concern.

Dandruff is a common cause of scalp itching and increased hair shedding.

I suggest you to use a coal tar and salicylic acid based shampoo e.g Protar lotion /shampoo Or Salytar lotion. Shampoo on alternate days. Lather it well on to wet scalp and allow it to act for 7-10 minutes before rinsing it off.

In addition I suggest you to use a topical steroid lotion e.g clobetasol propionate 0.05% lotion for overnight scalp application for 2 weeks. Thereafter use only the shampoo for maintaining improvement.

These are prescription medications and I suggest you to talk to your local practitioner for a prescription regarding the same.