Suggest treatment for severe hair loss

Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney

Dermatologist

Posted on Mon, 29 Aug 2016 in Skin Hair and Nails
Question: hi sir!
i have a issue of decreasing hair volume although i have fine hairs since my childhood. but it is dreasing nowdays.
will u pls help me
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 47 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Rule out causes of hair loss and start treatment accordingly

Detailed Answer:
Hi
Thanks for being at healthcaremagic
I am Dr Asmeet Kaur Sawhney, a dermatologist.
There are many causes of hair loss and treatment depends on the cause.
Are you having loss of hair from the crown area along with recession of frontal hair line?
If yes that means you are developing androgenetic alopecia which is a hormone dependant hair loss in genetically predisposed individuals.
In such cases I recommend my patients to start with minoxidil 5 percent lotion on the affected areas of the scalp twice daily.
The dose is 1ml twice daily.
Along with this I also recommend my patients to take tablet finasteride 1 mg once daily.
Both the tablet and minoxidil need to be continued for atleast 4-5 months to show any significant response and for atleast 1 year to show maximum benefit.
Besides this are you taking any other medicines or do you have any other ailment?
Do you have any recent history of surgery, accident, trauma, fevers like typhoid and malaria as all these conditions also lead to hair loss.
I hope this information helps you and I would be happy to clarify any further doubts.
Dr Asmeet
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Prasad
Follow up: Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 1 hour later
do this tablet you suggested have some side effects?
Answered by Dr. Asmeet Kaur Sawhney 11 hours later
Brief Answer:
Sexual dysfunction in 1-3 percent individuals

Detailed Answer:
It has been seen that 1-3 percent of the individuals taking finasteride develop some sort of sexual dysfunction in the form of loss of libido and erectile dysfunction which usually gets resolved after stopping treatment and in some individuals even on continued treatment it resolves.
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Priyanka G Raj