• question-icon

Suggest treatment for severe foot cramps

Posted on Wed, 9 Dec 2015 in General Health
Question: I am experiencing severe cramping in my rt foot. My search on this site suggests hypocalcemia as a possible cause. Should I seek emergency treatment?
It has now subsided considerably but it is something that I experience occasionally. This is the worst that it has ever been.
Answered by Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain 26 minutes later
Brief Answer:
Check for blood Calcium and blood Magnesium.

Detailed Answer:
Hi and thanks for the query,

I think it is important that you get your blood calcium levels actually checked. Though the pain is severe, I doubt if it needs emergency attendance. When Calcium become too low, cramps become generalized, involuntary and some people start experiencing problems with the heart rate and sensitivity problems. If you are not experiencing any of these, you might not need to rush to the ER room, but getting blood Calcium levels checked is important.

In case they are low, checking for blood Magnesium levels shall be important. The metabolism of Calcium and Magnesium go hand in hand. Untreated low Magnesium levels makes correction of blood calcium difficult. It is also important to check your kidney function since they predispose to low blood calcium levels.

Getting a good electrolyte panel done (including calcium and magnesium) are important. Left untreated, cardiac problems might intervene and could be dangerous. But I doubt from you description if it should be very low to deserve emergency care.

Checking for local problems that can cause cramps is important too.

thanks and kind regards ,

Dr Bain
Above answer was peer-reviewed by : Dr. Yogesh D
Dr. Luchuo Engelbert Bain